Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Baby Kate's Story

Most of you know that I'm a fairly straight to the point kind of person.  With that, this story may contain information that you, your husband, your kids, or your friend may not want to read.  So please take this as a warning that this post will contain words such as cramping, poop, bleeding, tears, etc. and will depict an actual birth.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Monday, January 21st (my due date)
My mom and sister had been visiting for the long weekend and were planning to leave the next day, Tuesday.  I was dilated to a 1 for two weeks and my doctor appointment on Friday the 18th showed I was dilated to a 2 (I give credit of my progress to Ali who came, walked with me, gave me a mani/pedi, did acupressure, and helped me eat pineapple).  Since my mom was planning to leave the next day, she suggested that I schedule a doctor appointment for that day so she could see if there was any significant progress (she was deciding if she should stay longer or not).

I got in to my doctor where she found the same results as Friday.  She stripped my membranes again and gave me labor vibes.  I had pretty much decided I was going to go 8 days late like I did with J Henry.  Around 1 in the afternoon my mom and I went on a brisk 20 minute walk to ColdStone and walked the 20 minutes back.  It's not easy walking that long at 9 months pregnant for those of you that don't know.

So, normal day right?  MT and I decided we'd go out to eat that night and then hang out with some friends because it may be a while before we got to do that again.  About 5:30, while sitting on the couch I started to feel some... feelings.  haha.  I don't know how to explain it.  The only reason I even thought twice about the feeling was that it felt slightly similar to when I was induced with JH.  It was just a little tightening but not painful.  Just kind of weird.  The tightening feeling would start and grow a little and then die out.  Sorry, those of you with kids probably are like- duh- but I'm trying to paint a good picture so I remember what happened.  The feelings were on average 5-7 minutes apart but again, not painful.

Since I wasn't in pain we went on with the night as planned.  Although, we decided if I really was in labor, having a really nice huge dinner wouldn't be the best thing to have in my stomach.  So, naturally, we went to McDonalds.  I'm kinda disappointed that we went there- it wasn't really that great.  Big surprise eh?  The "feelings' got pretty irregular when I would walk around but the longest I went between them was 7 minutes.

I should go through this quicker right?  Too many details.  Whatever.  This is a record for me- not you.  So just be patient. 

Then we headed to our friend's place where we watched a movie.  The Carr's introduced us to a really good film, or so I'm told.  I was there, and I watched it, but I was distracted by timing my "feelings" that I now decided were contractions because they were becoming increasingly painful.  On average, about 5 minutes apart.  But it wasn't really bad pain.  It was a little cramp that would build and then go away.  Anyway, all I really remember from the movie was a knife, funny cub scouts, Bruce Willis, and an awkward beach scene.  I want to watch it again so I can follow along better.  By the end, I was glad to be leaving.  It was getting a little more painful but still irregular.  The contractions would be coming every 5 minutes, then 3, then 7, then 5 again.  I was just confused because I wasn't in MAJOR pain but they were coming often and not at a definite interval.

We got in the car to go home and the contractions got painful.  It must have been the way I was sitting because MT started driving and all of a sudden it was very uncomfortable.  This was around 11pm.  I adjusted my seat to lay back and MT freaked out.  I guess he heard a pop and thought the baby popped out.  haha.  We laughed for a minute about that.

I was definitely in labor at this point.  I made MT time contractions because I was sick of only focusing on the pain.  When we got home I started getting my bag ready and making sure I had everything together because I figured at some point in the night we'd be heading to the hospital.  Around 11:30 I laid down to try and get some sleep.  ha.  I didn't get sleep but I "rested" for a good hour and a half.  MT read a book next to me, still timing contractions.  They were coming consistently 5 min apart and very painful.  I called the hospital to ask when I should come in.  Once I told them it was my second child they said to come in right then.

Tuesday, January 22nd

My mom, hubby, and I got dressed and started to head out the door.  My mom asked for some scissors to work on a project while we were hanging out in the hospital.  It took us a little bit to find them and she kept saying, "Never mind, I don't need them.  It's all good.  Don't worry about it."  But I didn't mind, it was a way to pass the time.  I'm not sure why that sticks out in my mind.  Weird.

We got to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital around 12:45.  When you go in you have to check in, get your picture taken, put an ID sticker on, take an elevator up, and walk inconveniently far to labor and delivery.  Who designed that?  I remember thinking I was glad I wasn't one of those women who deliver 2 seconds after they get to the hospital.  I would have killed the security guard for making me check-in.  Anyway, we made it to labor and delivery where they checked me- 4cm dilated and fully effaced.  I was pleased- I had this horrible thought that maybe it was false labor and I was still at a 2.  Because I was group B strep positive, I needed to get antibiotics so they admitted me.

Then the boring stuff happens.  I lay in the bed being monitored, having contractions every 4 minutes.  My mom did some stuff on the other side of the room (this is where I preferred her to be.  I like having my mom there but not all up in my biness).  MT sat close to me, holding my hand if it was a particularly bad contraction and working on a little bit of school I think.  I was allowed to walk around for certain periods of time which was nice.  The hubs and my mom fell asleep at one point so I started a movie.  It was with Drew Berry More and that guy from the Office about saving whales.  Once again, I can't remember much of it because it's hard to concentrate when a human is making their way out of your lady parts.

Around 4am I was having really bad contractions every 1-2 minutes.  I threw up at some point- I don't think that people know it's common to get sick in the later stages of labor.  MT was holding my hand constantly through this because it was so bad.  At one point, he reached with his other hand into his backpack and started eating oreos.  I let him eat about 3 before his chocolate cookie breath put me over the edge.  He reached down for the 4th one and I said in a very even and loving tone, "That's your last one."  He stopped. :)

I got checked and I was at a 7!  I was really impressed because when I felt that way with JH I was only at a 4 (that's the difference between induction and natural childbirth people).  I decided I wanted an epidural to get me through the end.  When I asked the nurse she convinced me to first try a drug that could be given though my IV since I was so close.  The benefits were that it could be given immediately and  I still had the option of an epidural if I didn't like it.  It didn't take the pain away but made me feel it differently. Now that I think about it, it was probably a medical way of getting me drunk (although I've never actually been drunk so I guess it's a long shot).  It was just weird.  Within a minute of her giving me the drug I felt dizzy and really funny but SUPER happy.  Really, it just made me feel so good.  It helped me sleep a little and I got to relax.  I remember having some really weird dreams.  I wanted to roll over and tell MT and my mom about them but then realized what I was dreaming was nonsense.  Whales were involved...  Anyway, the drug lasted for 45 minutes and I could get 3 doses.  So, the first one was amazing!  I got the second dose an hour later and it still felt good but I could feel the pain more than with the first dose so I didn't get much sleep.  And an hour after that I got the third dose.  Again, I still felt a whole lot better but was still feeling pain with the contractions.  I threw up at some point again.

The third dose wore off at around 8:15am.  I was feeling the contractions every minute.  And they were bad.  Like really bad.  Remember the tightening I said earlier?  It was that times 100 and then bad cramping from a period times 100.  Although, cramping isn't the right word for it at this point.  It was more like trying to poop a redwood tree out.  There was just so much pressure and I could feel her getting lower.  Oh man, just talking about it makes me hurt.  I got checked and I was at an 8 or 9 dilated and the doctor broke my water.  They said to let them know when I felt like I had to poop and then it'd be time to push.

The contractions were just so draining.  They were coming so quickly.  I just wanted it to be over.  And the whole poop thing- I pretty much felt like I had to poop the whole time so I kept telling the nurse and she was trying to convince me that I wasn't ready to push.  Looking back I think I kept telling her that because I thought she would come out quicker if I started pushing sooner.  It turns out the nurse was right to wait a little longer... but man it hurt.  I remember thinking REVERSE! REVERSE!  She needs to go back up because there's no way she's coming all the way out!  This is not happening!  Finally the pain and pressure got really low and I told the nurse I was ready to push.  She checked me and I was at a 10- finally!  It took the doctor like 10 minutes to get to me but at this point I'm like, whatever, I'm gonna die anyway.

The doctor gets to my room.  She says to push with the contractions and I think I was crying when I told her I didn't know when to push because it just hurt bad all the time.  It feels semi-good to push but also gets more painful.  Man, it's all just so weird.  But I pushed so hard because I knew I wasn't allowed to reverse like I so badly wanted.  There was one push that I'm pretty sure I was getting her shoulders out because it hurt soooooo bad.  But after that push- oh man, it was like the best feeling EVER!!!  Seriously, so much release and relief.  So much happiness.  So much not baby inside me.  So good.  Like after you've been holding your pee forever and then you finally get to go- that feeling times 100 (sorry for all the bathroom references, they just work really well in this scenario).

They gave her to me right after she came out (which didn't happen with Henry) and that was amazing.  I was barely even aware of my placenta being delivered.  And... dun duh daaaa... no tears or stitches or anything.  Kate Emily Pope, 7lbs 12oz.  I'll let the pictures do the talking now.

Don't worry, they are all appropriate :)

If you made it this far you're either super bored, you really love me, or you have an odd obsession with labor and delivery.  The first 3 weeks of life post coming soon.


  1. i'm obsessed with childbirth.. what more can i say. Congratulations!!!

  2. This was hilarious. I don't care about you or childbirth, but I do care about the phrase "trying to poop a redwood tree out."

  3. seriously..... reading this at work, only had 2.5 hours of sleep since yesterday morning! Laughing out loud, crying crazy tears..... pitcuring Morgan with the oreos!!!!!! OMG Love it, cant wait to get my hands on her

  4. I'm rather obsessed with birth, too. Loved your story! Loved the Oreo part. (When Elisabeth was born, we had to drive over a bazillion potholes on the way to the hospital. Nathan was laughing--nervous laughing b/c he realized the contractions were less than 2 mins apart. At one point I said, "I forgive you for the potholes, but I don't forgive you for laughing." He drove faster.)

  5. I am so glad you documented and wrote this. I have always wondered what it is like without the epidural. Now I know if I ever get pregnant again I will get another epidural. LOL!! The 100 times the pain did it for me. Baby Kate is beautiful and you are a rock star Sadi! :)

  6. Ooh, is there a prize for guessing which movie you saw? Moonrise Kingdom! Moonrise Kingdom! The beach scene was very awkward.

    And I appreciate you not sugar-coating the experience. Childbirth is what it is, and it's still wonderful. Congrats, you guys!

  7. Thanks for posting your birth story! You were fast getting it written down too! I give you major kudos for going without the epidural. I kept debating and decided to have an epidural the second time around too. I don't know what I'll do with my third.
    Kate is so adorable! I love the picture with her and her big brother. Priceless! I love, love, love her name too. Congratulations!