Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Heaven Help Me

Took the kids to the dentist today.  The dentist/office was WONDERFUL. 
Sam's teeth- great (attitude, not so much)
Kate's teeth- awesome
Henry's teeth- loose filling, needs a tooth extracted, and 6 other cavities

How did this happen???  We brush teeth at night.  That's about it.  So... I guess that's how it happened.  But why does one kid have a mouth of doom and the other is perfectly fine?  If anything, Kate eats more sweets and brushes less effectively.  uuuuuuugggggghhhhhh.

Another important point, is that I've heard of 4 year olds getting teeth pulled and I'm like, really?  Do you never brush their teeth?  Are you giving them soda for breakfast???  Come on, get it together, parent.  Take care of your kid. 

And here I am, on the other side of the fence feeling like crap.  Why do I never learn my lesson?  As soon as I have a judgy thought about someone (usually involving parenting) I am put in the same circumstance very soon after.  I've come up with a sequence of what to do in future situations:

1. It's important to evaluate yours/others situations to learn lessons
2. Those evaluations should not include thoughts of scorn or superiority
3. Instead they should be open minded and with the intention to help
4. If thoughts of scorn or superiority do persist, try number 3

It's easy for me to be kind outwardly.  I'm not going to tell an adult how to parent their child.  Now it's time for my mind and heart to change as well... because that matters too, if not more.

No comments:

Post a Comment