Wednesday, April 5, 2017

My life

Henry had spring break a few weeks ago.  MT is saving up time off for the big holidays so I decided to take the kids to Arizona to visit family on my own.

It was great!  The drive there went relatively smooth for having 3 monkeys and 1 semi-adult in the car.  When we got there the kids played with their cousins all day long and it was magical.  Then we drove home.  It was a bit more of a struggle on the way back.  Sam screamed for an hour because he was hungry (even though we had just eaten).  At our second stop Sam ran away from me so I had to hold him which meant he was screaming again... in public.  Third stop went well because ice cream was involved.  It was getting late so we put pj's on and I was ready to finish the 2 hour drive and be home.  20 minutes later Sam throws up all over himself.  I stop, get him cleaned up, and keep driving in the barf scented car while they all sleep.

We get home at 10:30 and unload the kids/ luggage.  At 11pm I'm on my hands and knees in the car wiping kid puke off the seats.  I hear a door open behind me and a woman, probably around my age or possible slightly older, walks past in a tiny black cocktail dress, high stiletto shoes, and a small handbag that just rounds out the look perfectly.  She was clearly going out.

It was a bit of an epiphany moment for me.  What different lives me an this woman have.  I'm cleaning a 2 year olds vomit out of my van and she was about to have a night on the town in her Prius.

The interesting part of this is that I should have probably felt jealous, or thought about the days when I could go out whenever I wanted.  But I didn't.  I just felt wonder and amazement for my life.  I spent a lot of that week packing snack bags, wiping butts, making lunches, washing faces, and wiping boogers.  It was such a good week and it filled me with strength to be around family.  Sometimes being a mom is hard and thankless and unfulfilling.  But at the moment, after a great week with my kids and finally home to my husband, I was so glad to be where I was at.

I sure hope that woman had a good night out with friends.  Because I sure was happy to be home and wiping bodily fluids from the car.  I am proud of who I am.  I may not have a career, or crazy nights out but that's ok.  I've got a family.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment